Let's Talk

Your Total Guide To sport

Bath Sporting Round-Up

Bath City were hoping to end their poor form with a win at Torquay, and Bath Rugby looked to make it another win in the Gallagher Premiership.

Both Bath sides have been struggling as of late, Bath City had lost two of their last three league games and had seen them slide down from the top of their perch. An away trip to Torquay could provide the kickstart to reclaiming their top spot. 

Bath Rugby had lost their last two Gallagher Premiership games after a strong start against the Newcastle Falcons. Saracens and Leicester Tigers handed back-to-back losses for Bath who next travelled to the home of the Northampton Saints in search of a much-needed victory.

The Romans fall late on

Bath took on a Torquay side that were coming off the back of back losses. Could they provide the turnaround in form that the Romans needed?

Torquay started the stronger of the two sides with Will Buse being called into action a few times in the opening 15 minutes. The Romans were fighting to get into the game and as the half went on they were getting stronger. 

Skipper Kieran Parselle tried the spectacular as halftime approached but his effort from far out flew high and wide. 

Nothing more of note came in the first half neither side really controlled and the teams went goalless at the break.

Second Half: 

Bath started the second half the stronger of the sides Jack Batten came close but his half chance was over the bar. 

The Romans were piling the pressure onto Torquay with Tom Smith seeing an effort from range trickle wide. Jordan Dyer came inches from opening the scoring in the 74th minute but his header was clawed away. 

Despite all the pressure, it was the home side who found the net a massive deflection saw the ball fly past Buse making it 1-0 Torquay. 

Some late chances from Parselle and a scramble in the box couldn’t be steered home and Bath suffered another defeat on the road.

The Saints march past Bath

Bath travelled to Northampton for their next Gallagher Premiership match.

The hosts got the scoring underway when Fin Smith kicked a penalty, but it wouldn’t be long until Bath responded with a penalty of their own. Orlando Bailey stepped up to level the scoring at three a piece. 

Tom Pearson would score the first try of the game for the Saints and the opening 20 minutes would see the score sit at 10-3 to the Northampton Saints.

Bath would level the scoring in the 26th minute some great attacking play saw Thomas du Toit scoring with Bailey on hand to level the game at 10-10.

The hosts would again take the lead in the 33rd minute. With Alex Coles scoring, Smith converting to restore the Saints seven point lead.

Thomas de Glanville would pull back some points shortly before the end of the first half. His try made it 17-15 at the break. 

Second Half:

The Saints would start strong and George Hendy would score following an attacking line-out. Fin Smith would convert and Northampton led 24-15. 

Bath's first point would come in the 69th minute, Ben Spencer's penalty making it 24-18.

The remainder of the second half saw the two sides trading the ball, the Saint's defence was working hard to keep the score as it was. Despite pushing hard for points Bath fell short and a lacklustre second half ended 24-18 and a victory for the Northampton Saints.


Be the first to comment on this article

Skydive Netheravon
Bath Rugby (Animated Ad)
DB Max: Race Timing & Multisport Events
Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa (Animated Ad)
Boom Battle Bar Animated Ad
Dayfold Print (Animated Ad)
Kelly Ashby Nail Training Academy (Animated Ad)
The Canon (Animated Ad)
Pong Cheese (Affiliate)
Active Reality (Animated Ad)

Weather in Bath