In case you missed it see what’s in this section
Recipe: Broad Bean & Courgette Bulghur Salad
Broad beans are a fantastic British ingredient that aren't used nearly enough in this country. Chef, Melanie Booth shows us how to make the most of this fantastic vegetable!
Now that they're in season (English broad beans available April-August in the shops) why don’t you give this tasty, healthy and fresh tasting salad a try? If the weather gets a little warmer, this is also a lovely side dish to bring to a barbeque or picnic.
Ingredients (serves 4 as a side dish):
- 110g bulghur wheat
- 200ml hot vegetable stock
- 250g fresh broad beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 courgette, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Big handful mint, finely chopped (plus extra leaves for garnish)
- 100g Feta Cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the bulghur wheat in the vegetable stock for 15 minutes, or until the wheat has soaked up all the liquid and is cooked. 10 minutes before the end of the cooking add the broad beans. Pour broad bean and bulghur mixture into a bowl and set aside.
2. In another pan, fry the red onions for about 5 minutes in the olive oil, until softened, then add to the bulghur mixture. To the same pan add the courgettes and fry for a further 5 minutes, until beginning to brown, then add to the bulghur mixture.
3. Mix in the extra virgin olive oil and fresh mint into the bulghur salad. Season to taste, crumble feta over the top, garnish with a few extra torn mint leaves, and serve!